I just got back from the Writer’s Digest conference and Book Expo of America… They were both in NYC, held at the Javitz center. I’ve got cool photos to upload when I’m not exhausted. But these were the highlights:
* meeting my Writer’s Digest editor for the first time (she’s cool! I really, really like her!)
* the person who raised their hand during the Q&A part of my speech just to say how much they liked it (thank you! People rarely do that…)
* signing galleys of The Garden of Eve and hearing comments about Saint Iggy, not just Fat Kid Rules the World
* staying in Times Square!
* running into so many awesome people at BEA that I hadn’t seen in ages
* meeting the women who run the Glimmer Train literary journal because they are very cool people
* dinner at ESPN zone because the food was surprisingly good and who can resist floor to ceiling TV screens??
* going to a Mets game for the first time since I was a kid
Here are the parts that I could have done without:
* blisters on my feet from so much standing and walking all day in uncomfortable shoes
* getting up at 5 AM
* the heat and the crush of people in the Javitz center
* the kid who snored through the entire second act of Phantom of the Opera
* the two hour wait for dinner after the silent auction and not being able to bid on any of the amazing art because it was (rightfully) expensive
* wanting to sleep for a week now that I’m home, but needing to start writing my next speech because it’s this coming weekend! Eek! Oh, and there’s a book in here somewhere I’m supposed to be working on…
Anyway, that’s the easy rundown. Pictures will hopefully follow soon!!